1. In 1936 Mercedes Benz made the first diesel-engined production passenger car – the 260D.
3. Every single 3 M-100 6.9 and 6.3V8 Mercedes engine was hand-built and tested on an engine dyno for just over four hours, 40 minutes of which were at full throttle.
4. The legendary film C’était un rendez-vous (Google it, it’s awesome) was filmed using a Mercedes 450SEL 6.9. The actual soundtrack is from the director Claude Lelouch’s Ferrari 275GTB.
5. The 300SL ‘Gullwing’ had a steering wheel that pivoted to ease entry. And the bumpers were an optional extra!
6. The W140 S Class featured double glazed windows and a heater that could deliver hot air, even when the engine was off!
8. The ultra rare 450SLC 5.0 is the only internationally successful rally car with an automatic gearbox – the ’boxes never failed during any of the events.
9. Each Mercedes 500E was hand-built by Porsche and took a full 18 days to make.
10. Mercedes asked four tuners to come up with a modified concept variant of the new GLK. The Legendary Motorcar Company came up with this daft snowboarding monster dubbed the ‘Rock Crawler’.